Thursday 24 February 2011

Christmas Cupid Review


Sloane is beautiful, stylish, and on the fast track to success at her public relations firm. After her client Caitlin dies and becomes her own personal ghost of Christmas past, present, and future; she finds out first hand that her unethical ways needs to change and reuniting with a past jilted lover may be the answer”
“Sloane wanted to be the Vice President of her Publicity Agency, but that was not the most important part of the story. Since she was taught from a young age not to marry because of love, she only looked for men with money and power. This left her missing out on her one true love.
Sloane got to see that her actions didn't only affect her. By focusing on being with someone with power and money, she lost out on all the small moments that really meant something. Sloane spent so much time at work, with her boyfriend that she was ruining her friendship with her best friend. By only thinking about what was her next step in success, she was causing others to lose out on being with their friends and family.”

Source - http://www.suite101.com/content/christmas-cupid-movie-review-a322267



I watched this movie last night, and I was kind of disappointed.


In the trailer, your expectations lead you to think you’re going to witness Sloane’s (Christina Milian) journey using a modern version of Christmas Carol, Scrooge/ghost path to finding her true love again.
However, I found no chemistry between Sloane and Patrick (Chad Murray). They hardly did many scenes together or explored their bond, to get to this “true love.”
You are shown some clips from the past, but you see more of Sloane’s current boyfriend Andrew.

 
In storylines, you want to feel something for the character as you learn more about them. If they get hurt you get sad. If they get in a fight, you want them to win. You know there is a good connection and depth of script/characters, if the story is written in a way that makes you cry or show emotion.
It’s a lot harder to get this in a movie that lasts 1hour 30min than a drama that lasts seasons long, but written and acted well it is achievable and is what separates the good movies from the bad ones. (In my opinion)




This can relate to video games, and is why I love the story plot in them. I very rarely come across a decent one like Final Fantasy 7 when Aeris dies near the end of disc 1..
You get so sad, after you learned so much about her; after you saved her from the Turks; being her bodyguard; staying at her house; taking you through the slums; dressing you up together as a girl to get you into the mansion to save Tifa; learning about her ancient past and connecting a bond with Cloud in the Gold Saucer theatre.
Aeris was one of my favourite characters to play, as she has good healing limit breaks and magic based attacks overall, so when she died for the 1st time.. I was crushed!



You don’t get that emotion in many games..  unless you’ve been on a journey with that character and built a friendship/understanding, without a good plot/storyline/script I don’t feel that.
This really relates to the talks from Blitz studios. The 3 Important things I wanted to put into my work: Reaction, Feeling, Emotion …

Overall..
Would I still watch Christmas Cupid if I knew what I was getting myself in to?
YES!  
Even though.. it's predictable, and been used before in “Over her dead body" with the never ending “Christmas Carol, Scrooge usage.”
I don’t know why.. but these are my kind of movies. I think I’m just a sucker for romantic happy endings^


Plus the fact  Christina Milian and Chad Michael Murray are my favourite musicians/actors.
I was surprised by Caitlin (Ashley Benson's) performance playing the dead ghost after she dies. I think she played it really well, and it was believable. You know she’s in character when she holds the vodka glass in her hand.
  

Would I recommend it to anyone?..


Probably Not


 

 


I have.. odd taste, not to everyone’s liking~



No comments:

Post a Comment